• Olearia & Vinicola Villese
  • Olearia & Vinicola Villese

History

 

Villalfonsina is a picturesque village in the province of Chieti situated on a hill, not far from one of the most picturesque place in the Abruzzo coast, the coast of Trabocchi (traditional fishing machine made with wood and rope). Has little more than a thousand inhabitants (Villesi) distributed over an area of 9.06 km square, 203 meters above sea level.The small town has always been devoted to agriculture, with excellence in the production of wine and oil, Villalfonsina is above all a place of peace and tranquility.In the village houses arranged in a comb on both sides of the main street are single-family and are often interconnected by sub- archi way , courtyards , atriums and external staircases (locally called Brancatelli) with inscriptions of six - eighteenth century .Stands out a ashlar portal of sculptured stone dated back to 1849 and some buildings modernized in nineteenth century neo-classicalstyle. A visit is recommmented to the Church of Santa Maria della Neve and the Fountain of nineteenth century. Cited in 1742 as a property of d'Avalos, the Church of Santa Maria della Neve is located in Piazza Roma and contains a stone inscription and works of art of the same period.The church has only a nave. The high altar is in a central position above it survives a polychrome stucco that represents a much smaller church. This image put in a place so liturgical important should remember beside the Miracle happned here, the memory of the shape of the ancient church and the first community of Villalfonisna. The facade, with his massive bell tower on the right side, is divided into three sections by two pilasters. The portal is surmounted by a gable topped by a large window frame mixtilineal.The upper pediment is curved and broken. The bell tower, with its signle lancet windows in the side faces, still remembers the function not only religious but also defensive of these structures. Artistic works relating to the cult of St. Irene (patron of the town), brought here by Slavic immigrants in this area in the sixteenth century (according to the legend), have disappeared. Built in the nineteenth century or early twentieth century, the fountain is located at the entrance of the village in a place where previously there was a country church of San Rocco. The fountain, polygonal plants, presents a succession of arches bounded by slender pilasters with Doric capitals. On the top stands a small "drum" of polygon shape. It's made of bricks. Inside the central body acts as a pivot for the various functions of the source, once used as laundry. The origins of Villalfonsina are uncertain and matter of discussion.Some sources claim that the village was founded by Alfonso d'Avalos, Marchese del Vasto, that at the begin of the sixteenth century found of the land where to find refuge during the Turkish raids (very frequent at that time).According to the popular saying, however, Alfonso had built a villa and hence the name of Villa Alfonso then transformed in Villalfonsina. Both hypotheses are plausible. Certainly this land was cultivated and inhabited by groups of farmers and shepherds who lived in small settlements arose near the castle of Acquaviva, Castle St. Anzovino and the monastery of St. Pancrazio. The plague of 1496 decimated the population and the Marquis del Vasto to repopulate the territory, they brought a colony of Slavs (Slavic)around 1527, probably from Villa Cupello where the effect of migration had established years before. The popular belief however, is that a group of Schiavoni ( Slavic people ) from Nerenta valley to escape the Turkish hordes who conquered their territories migrated to the nearby Adriatic coast and landed at the mouth of Osento and settled in our lands. To tell the truth the slave migration to our shores had begun with the Republic of Venice, which had established trade with the peoples of the Adriatic coast, that granted to traders the opportunity to build stores and warehouses.They were small migrations which followed that of 1526 when Louis II was defeated by the Turks that subdued the land.

Comune di Villalfonsina